“ISO standards are very efficient improvement tools, especially when coupled with the implementation of lean programs.”
Our quality experts have illustrated that it is difficult to pinpoint which methodology is superior and which tools are essential for achieving quality. That is because the various methodologies and models apply differently to and yield different results and consequences in different contexts, while the basics remain the same. Our quality experts believe that ISO standards are very efficient improvement tools, especially when coupled with the implementation of lean programs.
Quality has paved the way for mistake-proofing; today, we see gaps or mistakes as opportunities to create something new. Innovation is a result of failure, and from a quality perspective it is seen as the first attempt at learning. Quality professionals thoroughly embrace failure and work on them. Just as quality is everyone’s business, so too is innovation. The quality profession is extremely valuable to any business and relevant to its growth and sustainability, and the current research shows that our roles may evolve significantly in the future.
Therefore, ensuring that quality and innovation are strategic priorities is the way to go. The involvement of people taking an open-minded approach is a good sign for any company. With exceptional curiosity, dedication, and a passion for quality, one can emerge as a leader for quality. To do so, young experts should ask themselves the following questions.
1. What does “leadership/strategy for quality” mean to us?
2. How can we describe our organization’s best practices by demonstrating its leadership and strategy?
3. How do we think the leadership and strategy have helped the organization to embed a deeply rooted quality culture?
4. What are some examples of results or organizational performance that resulted from good leadership and strategy implementation?
5. What would have gone wrong if the leadership or strategy had not functioned well in the organization?
6. What does the “involvement of people” mean to us?
7. How can we describe the best practices and approaches of our organization by demonstrating its “involvement of people” principle?
8. How can we describe some of the results we have achieved for the “people” in our organization or in any organization that is known to us?
9. What are the unique ways that our organization leverages the people enabler?
10. How are we leveraging our processes to gain maximum benefit?
Taking a holistic approach to quality in the twenty-first century means finding new ways of engaging customers and people and leveraging all other stakeholders by considering the digitized world in which we live. We have to take full advantage of this mega-trend of digitization!
About the author
Dr Lasrado is a recognised industry leader with an extended skill set in the area of business excellence and innovation. The value of Dr Lasrado’s dedicated efforts to contextualize quality practices in the region has been recognised in both her professional award from the American Society of Quality(ASQ) and Fellowship status with the Higher Education Academy,UK. Through her cutting edge research in field of business excellence and innovation field, she has authored several books that are published by international publishers, such as Springer Germany, IGI global, Palgrave UK and Routledge UK.As a future-thinking academic with a passion for teaching and learning, Dr Lasrado vows to develop her students to be knowledge hubs who will see learning as a lifelong journey. Her exceptional pedagogic practices inspire and enables young professionals to engage in successful professional careers. Dr Lasrado has won several other accolades in her career and is dedicated to contributed to the society through her continuous engagement with national awards such as Dubai Quality Award, UAE Innovation award and healthcare awards. Currently Dr Lasrado is teaches on Master of quality management program at the Australian University of Wollongong in Dubai, UAE. More information visit www.flasrado.com
Copyrighted Material: This article has been produced with permission from the author. Title picture is not associated with the original writing and copyright of our sponsor designplex.ca.